Houston Lawyer » Juvenile Offenders
When a juvenile enters the justice system, special rules govern their case. Offenders typically enter the juvenile justice system if they have not yet reached 18 years of age, but this can vary based on the crime and its severity. Below you will find information on the juvenile justice system, and tips on specific issues in juvenile criminal cases.
Juvenile Justice Basics:
- Juvenile Justice: Background - lists some concepts that form a backdrop to the juvenile justice system.
- Development of the Juvenile Justice System - the history of the juvenile justice system in the United States.
- Minor Crime Is a Major Ordeal - what to expect when a juvenile enters the justice system.
- Juveniles and Age Offenses - some activities, like buying alcohol, are crimes when committed by juveniles because of their age.
- Juvenile Delinquents - when a minor commits a crime, a state will classify them as a juvenile delinquent.
- MIP: A Minor in Possession - a special category of crime exists for minors found in the possession of drugs and alcohol.
Juvenile Criminal Cases:
- Juvenile Court Procedure - the structure and processes of the juvenile justice system differs from that of the adult criminal justice system.
- Juvenile Court Chronology: What to Expect - a timeline of events in the juvenile justice system.
- Juvenile "Waiver" (Transfer to Adult Court) - how and when a juvenile court may transfer a case to the adult criminal justice system.
- Juveniles and the Death Penalty - the Supreme Court has ruled that juvenile executions constitute cruel and unusual punishment.
- Juvenile Curfew Laws - Learn more about juvenile curfew laws.
Houston Juvenile Offenders Defense Lawyer: The Charles Johnson Law Firm
Don't let your teenager's poor judgment or drug use ruin their future. At the Charles Johnson Law Firm, we are prepared to protect the rights of teenagers in juvenile court, and where a plea bargain, juvenile probation, or other alternative form of sentencing is in our client’s best interests, we will work hard to get the best deal possible. When possible, we work to get juvenile violations removed through expunction, and we committed to getting our clients the treatment for drug and alcohol addiction they need.